It’s cold outside and the days are shortening, but that doesn’t mean salads are off the menu. This salad with ras el hanout roast pumpkin, crunchy kale, lentils in a tangy vinaigrette, feta and salted pecans is about as seasonal as it gets. It’s healthy, colourful, tasty, and easy to put together; perfect for lunch or as a side. It’s also full of different textures (soft pumpkin, crunchy nuts, crisp kale, crumbly feta, firm lentils), so make sure to get all of them together in each bite for maximum enjoyment!
Ingredients (for 2 as main-4 as side dish)
1 small pumpkin, (hokkaido, butternut squash or grey are all fine) (about 600g), deseeded and cut into crescents
1/2-1 tbsp ras el hanout (strength varies with different brands)
1/2 tsp salt
100 g dupuis lentils
1 bay leaf
3 tbsp fruity extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp white or red wine vinegar
flaky sea salt
one handful of shredded kale
50 g salted pecans
a sprinkling of sumac (optional)
- Heat the oven to 200 celsius. Toss the pumpkin or squash slices with ras el hanout, salt and oil, until they’re evenly coated. Roast on an oven tray for about 30 minutes until tender. Most pumpkins and squashes have edible peels, but if you don’t like the texture you can easily peel off the skins after roasting.
- Meanwhile, rinse the lentils in a sieve under cold running water. Transfer to a deep saucepan, cover with plenty of boiling water and add a bay leaf. Boil for 15-20 minutes until they are nicely tender, then drain and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the shredded kale to the lentils along with a vinaigrette of 3 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp wine vinegar. Mix thoroughly and season with flaky sea salt and black pepper.
- Leave to marinate for a little while, then turn the dressed lentils and kale out onto a big serving plate and arrange the roast pumpkin or squash crescents on top.
- Finish off with salted pecans, crumbled feta and sumac.
Hi there! Welcome to Cuisine d’Eli. My name is Elizabeth and this is where I share what’s cooking in my kitchen. If you’re lucky enough to live in the Netherlands, you can contact me here for more information on how to book me for all your party catering needs.
Hallo! Ik ben Elizabeth en met Cuisine d’Eli maak ik van eten een feestje, bij jou thuis of op locatie. Kijk hier voor meer informatie over de opties voor (party) catering of neem contact met me op.