If like me, you often encounter recipes that require only 1 or 2 stalks of celery, and you don’t want to condemn the rest of the bunch to a fate of oblivion in your fridge, you could do worse than to use it in this light and tangy salad with a mustard vinaigrette, crunchy toasted walnuts and little fried pieces of “I can’t believe it’s not bacon” – smoked tofu.
Ingredients for one full bowl of salad (2-4 people):
10 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
1 slightly tart, crisp apple (sweet, soft apples tend to go brown and mushy too quickly), in eights, then thinly sliced
a large handful of walnuts
125 g smoked tofu, chopped into small pieces
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
salt & black pepper to taste
- Toast the walnuts briefly in a hot pan. Toss frequently to prevent burning. Let cool and chop roughly.
- Fry the tofu pieces in some oil over medium to high heat, until the outside is crunchy and golden brown.
- Mix the sliced celery and apple with the tofu.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing and toss through the salad.
- Sprinkle over the walnuts.
- Keeps in the fridge for at least a day.
Welcome to Cuisine d’Eli. My name is Elizabeth and I’m a personal chef and caterer with a passion for sustainable food. I’m based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Contact me for more information and/or bookings.
Welkom bij Cuisine d’Eli. Ik ben Elizabeth: duurzame kok aan huis en cateraar. Meer weten? Neem gerust een kijkje op de rest van mijn website of neem contact met me op voor meer informatie.