Deviled eggs might be one of the oldest party snacks in the book, but there’s a reason they’ve stuck around for as long as they have: they look festive and they’re delicious. I’m hosting a dinner party for a couple of friends tonight and alongside my usual horseradish-and-mayonnaise deviled eggs I’m also serving these beauties with a zesty lemon and avocado stuffing. The recipe given here is a very basic one, but there’s nothing to stop you from going full-blown guacamole.
Ingredients for 8 deviled eggs
4 free-range organic eggs
a splash of lemon or lime juice
a few drops of extra virgin olive oil
red chili, deseeded and thinly sliced
smoked paprika (optional)
- Put the eggs in boiling water and boil for at least 10 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water and peel.
- Remove the yolks and mash them together with the avocado, lemon juice, a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust if necessary.
- Using a teaspoon, spoon the mixture back into the egg-whites
- Garnish with a few slices of red chili or with a dash of (hot) smoked paprika.
- Refrigerate and cover before serving to make sure the stuffing doesn’t dry out.