This scrumptious veggie lasagna might just be one of the best things ever. Forget about those heavy, meaty affairs with minced beef and béchamel sauce. My lasagna consists of sweet grilled pepper, lovely oven-roasted aubergine slices, a homemade tomato sauce, stringy melted mozzarella and a crispy, golden layer of Parmesan cheese.
Ingredients (for 2):
6 lasagna sheets
1 aubergine, sliced and oven roasted
2 sweet red peppers, flame roasted
2 balls of mozzarella cheese
a handful of grated Parmigiano Reggiano (or vegetarian Parmesan)
1 400g can of chopped tomatoes
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves
4 cocktail vine tomatoes, chopped
- Heat the grill of your oven to 225 degrees, or as hot as it can go, and place the peppers right under it. Put them in there for at least 5-10 minutes per side, and use a pair of barbecue tongs to turn them over. Don’t worry if you smell something burning. You want the skin to literally blacken. (Alternatively, you could roast them over the flame of your gas hob). When they are blackened on all sides, and more or less imploded, set them aside, turn off the grill and heat the oven to 180 or 200 degrees (depending on how hot your oven is, mine is always less hot than it says it is so I put it on 200).
- slice your aubergine. Arrange the slices on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and dried oregano. Bake for about 15 minutes. Take out and set aside, but leave the oven on. Pull the skin off the peppers, remove the seeds and slice or tear them in strips.
- Then get your sauce on the go. Sweat the onion and garlic, and when they are soft and translucent, add the tinned tomato and the fresh tomato cubes. Season with a little salt and pepper. Leave to simmer for a while.
- Time to start building the layers. Do it as follows:
- tiny bit of sauce
- then 2 lasagna sheets, sauce, aubergine and sweet pepper (i.e. the veggies), 1 ball of mozzarella.
- 2 lasagna sheets, sauce, veggies, 3/4 ball of mozzarella
- 2 lasagna sheets, sauce, 1/4 ball mozzarella.
- Finish off with a nice layer of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Serve with a little parsley and some coarse sea salt (trust me, it’s golden!). Buon appetito!