If, like me, you are feeling a bit under the weather, it’s hard to beat this piping hot umami pick-me-up. Yes, you read it correctly, this hearty broth doesn’t only contain mushrooms, but is also seasoned with a generous spoonful of the “black gold.”
Ingredients (for 1.5 liters)
1.5 liter water
25 g porcini
2 onions, chopped
5 stalks of celery, sliced
2 cooked red beets, chopped
1 heaped tbsp Marmite
a pinch of ground allspice
250g chestnut button mushrooms, sliced or chopped
butter (or oil)
2 stock cubes of herb or vegetable stock
bunch of chives, finely chopped
- rinse the porcini and set aside
- sweat the onion and celery in a layer of butter for about 5 minutes
- add red beets, Marmite, allspice, porcini, stock cubes and 1.5 liters of water.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat, put the lid on and leave for 30 minutes.
- Fry the mushrooms in butter and season with salt and pepper
- Strain the soup through a sieve and adjust the taste by adding more salt and pepper.
- put a spoonful of the mushrooms on your plate or in your bowl. Ladle the hot broth on top and finish off with finely chopped chives.