This delicious zesty almond cake is my absolute summertime favourite. Traditionally, Torta di Santiago is topped off with a layer of icing sugar, but lemon icing and perfectly ripe English raspberries take this classic to the next level.
a little butter, for the tin
6 medium eggs
300 gr. caster sugar
300 gr. ground almonds
zest 3 lemons
juice of 1 lemon
icing sugar, enough for a spreadable icing
200 gr. raspberries
- Heat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
- Butter a round spring form cake tin
- Mix the eggs and the caster sugar with a(n electric) whisk until pale and thick.
- Gently fold in the almonds and zest with a metal spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 50 mins until golden – a skewer pushed into the centre of the cake should come away clean.
- Make a thick icing with the lemon juice and icing sugar. Spread the icing evenly over the top on the cake (a little may dribble over the sides) and place the raspberries in a nice pattern on top while the icing is still sticky.
- Put in the fridge for at least an hour, or long enough for the icing to set properly.
- Slice and enjoy!